Feerick Nugent MacCartney, PLLC
96 South Broadway
South Nyack, New York 10960
Telephone: (845) 353-2000
Fax: (845) 353-2789
Litigation; Municipal Law; Civil Rights; Constitutional Law; Personal Injury; Education Law; Employment Law.
State Courts, New York and New Jersey; U.S. District Courts, Southern District of New York, Northern District of New York, Eastern District of New York, and District of New Jersey; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
Villanova University, J.D.
University of Scranton, B.A., Cum Laude
New York, New York
Mary is an experienced civil litigator who handles our clients’ cases from inception to final judgment, including initial investigation, evaluation, pleadings, discovery and depositions, motions, mediation, trial, appeals and settlement.
In our municipal law litigation practice, Mary helps our municipal clients successfully defend a variety of civil rights and other actions including the following:
• Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act (RLUIPA) claims in Islamic Cmty. Ctr. for Mid Westchester v. City of Yonkers Landmark Pres. Bd., 258 F. Supp. 3d 405 (S.D.N.Y. 2017), aff’d, 742 F. App’x 521 (2d Cir. 2018);
• Fifth Amendment takings claims in BT Holdings, LLC v. Vill. of Chester, 670 F. App’x 17 (2d Cir. 2016);
• State zoning law challenge in BT Holdings, LLC v. Vill. of Chester, 162 A.D.3d 881 (N.Y. App. Div. 2018), leave to appeal denied, 32 N.Y.3d 913 (2019);
• First Amendment Equal Protection and Fourth Amendment claims alleging selective enforcement and police misconduct in Isnady v. Vill. of Walden, No. 7:18-CV-02662-NSR, 2019 WL 3252753 (S.D.N.Y. July 19, 2019); and,
• First Amendment Free Speech claims in Novie v. Vill. of Montebello, No. 10-CV-9436 CS, 2012 WL 3542222 (S.D.N.Y. Aug. 16, 2012).
With the benefit of having nearly 25 years of experience in civil defense litigation on behalf of municipalities, corporations and insurance companies, Mary also successfully prosecutes selective cases for our individual clients including the following:
• Multi-million dollar settlement on behalf of misclassified employees in nationwide Fair Labor Standards Act class action in Kudo, Individually and on Behalf of All Other Persons Similarly Situated v. Restaurant Group., et al, No. 09-cv-0712-CS (S.D.N.Y.);
• Won summary judgment for three families in contaminated water supply case resulting in settlement in excess of one million dollars and and public water connection in Bartley v. Cty. of Orange, 111 A.D.3d 772 (N.Y. App. Div. 2013);
• Significant monetary settlement for a client seriously injured in bus accident in Scandul v. Student Transportation of Am., Inc., No. 3:16-CV-58 (JBA), 2017 WL 1086766 (D. Conn. Mar. 22, 2017);
• Significant monetary settlement and wrongfully denied certificates of occupancy for landowners in Cunney v. Bd. of Trustees of Vill. of Grand View, N.Y., 660 F.3d 612 (2d Cir. 2011) and
Sonne v. Bd. of Trustees of Vill. of Suffern, 67 A.D.3d 192 (N.Y. App. Div. 2009); and,
• A preliminary injunction under the First Amendment’s Establishment Clause where a creche was denied equal visibility in a public holiday display in Ritell v. Vill. of Briarcliff Manor, 466 F. Supp. 2d 514, 518 (S.D.N.Y. 2006).